The Giant Robots Smashing into Other Giant Robots podcast is a weekly technical podcast discussing development, design, and the business of software development.
Hosted by Ben Orenstein, who is joined each week by developers and designers from thoughtbot and beyond.
Something Else Was Smellier
Ben Orenstein is once again joined by Joe Ferris, CTO of thoughtbot. Joe and Ben dive right in to a technical discussion about Objects versus Structures. They then discuss what Joe does as the new CTO of thoughtbot, and how his goal is to set up a system where everybody is teaching everybody. Finally, they discuss why Joe doesn't like using rspec's let and subject, and his strategy for writing tests without them.
Notes & Links
- Object Mentor blog, Objects vs. Structures
- Robert Martin Shape Hierarchy (Open Closed Principle)
- Martin Fowler's Refactoring
- Code smell
- Case statement code smell
- Visitor pattern
- Shotgun surgery
- Method object
- Composition over inheritance
- Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
- thoughtbot's apprentice.io
- Parkinson's Law of Triviality (bikeshedding)
- Broken windows theory
- Mystery Guest